Mamoru Hosoda

Recently, I’ve been checking Mamoru Hosoda’s animation films. I grew up with his animation – Digimon Adventure.

His animations  empathize  with the audience in a powerful way. When I was in primary school, I watched the Digimon Adventure and I was at the same age with those leading character kids. The story was so really, even it tells a surreal world. I was sincerely believe I would be the “chosen kid” in it (maybe similar to British kids want to go to Hogwarts). However, it never came true.

The girl who leapt through time is an animation film by Hosoda which left me a deep impression.

I can see Doctor Strange may get ideas or reference from this film. Today when I was in the life drawing class, the model who was very good and professional finished a pose, but I thought she was still making a pose, and at a certain moment, I had a sudden illusion that time actually stopped for me. After that, we start to do slow motion drawings. I was so into her movement, and the more concentration I was, the more I feel of “time stopping” and became very dizzy. This doesn’t make any sense, right? But after the life drawing class, I guess the film may have a strong influence by really life, even though the story is totally fictional.